Friday, July 29, 2011

Arriving in Daegu

Today is my first day in Daegu. Last night I got settled and took a shower which was interesting. The shower and the bathroom, as I had been told, is the same thing. The shower connector is a little broken so it’s like having two shower heads. This morning I woke up, had breakfast and just hung out for a while talking to Mom and Susie. The Moon School provided me with some basic food stuff like milk, OJ, water, bread, nutella and frosted flakes. After trying to get my brain to function I went out for a walk.

During this lovely walk I got many strange looks and have come to realize that unless the person you pass has delt first hand with Westerns they will get unnerved with you smiling all the time. I am going to be the odd one out on this, I smile too much. People did seem friendly and I had a fun moment with an older woman because I was trying to get a picture of this giant bug. It makes a very, very loud buzzing sound. She walked closer to see what I was interested in. I pointed to the bug and said, “It’s so loud!” I proceeded to make a short loud bzzzz noise and laugh. The woman understanding laughed as well and shook her head walking away.

It is so hot outside that I wish I could spend all day indoors with my AC. It’s about 90 here and that’s average/high for this time of year. I didn’t want to venture too far so I decided to just go “around the block.” Bad idea. I got lost. Luckily for me I can remember signs and images well so I eventually turned around and followed my meandering path home. As a reward for actually finding my house, I bought myself an ice cream and lunch. Now I’m waiting till 1:30pm to get picked up to go to training. I really need to remember to take a photo of my house so if I get lost again I can ask for directions! More later.

1 comment:

  1. Or leave peanut M&Ms like dad used to in order to keep us hiking. Zaphod always seemed to find them faster.

    ReplyDelete