Sunday, October 9, 2011

Korean Adventures



I have been seriously slacking in the blog department and I apologize. So here’s a post to update you on my adventures. First off work is going fine. I’m finally getting used to this style of teaching and my students are getting into a routine with my teaching. I got observed THREE times over the past few weeks though to prepare for Open Classes. My reviews were all fine, though I haven’t gotten my last one back yet. Open Classes are when parents and family are allowed to come in and watch you teach. It’s going to be fun, scary and frustrating. I can’t wait to get it over with.

Two of our teachers are leaving at the end of the month and we will be getting new teachers, or at least new to Siji. I know one teacher will be from Moonkkang. Nick and I have gone on some pretty cool adventures through the city as well. We went to a beautiful park and wound up climbing a short mountain. This was all fun and games, it being about 8pm. The path was lit with lamps so hiking wasn’t an issue until we decided to follow a trail towards the sound of music. No lamps. “We can do this!” Ten seconds later I had downloaded a “flashlight” onto my smart phone. Nick and I managed to get down without mishap.

Rachel came to visit as well. It was great to have her here and we explored SO much! We went to the markets and ate way too much food. Rachel and I also went on an adventure tour to YeongCheon. It was great fun though we felt a little exploited. Let me explain the trip was super cheap but we were followed around everywhere by camera men and videographers. I think they were using us for promotional materials though we weren't told. We still had a good time but it was a little annoying to be constantly watched.

We went ATVing, Kayaking (which was silly) and horseback riding. Those were all really short things but they were really fun. We also met really cool people on the trip, Lauren , Rami and Seth. I actually met Seth on my way to Daegu from Incheon on my first day! It was hilarious to see him again and totally unexpected. We also got to see the fourth largest telescope in Korea. Numbers 1-3 are not for public use. We also made wine, which will take until January to be done. I’ve already filtered my wine and am waiting to bottle it. We also were a part of an Herb Tying contest. We had to tie ginseng into 300g (about .6 lbs) bundles. Rachel got Second place and I got third!! It was great fun, but I was glad to go home.

Las thing then I’m off to get lunch and get ready for work. I’ve started my Korean classes and I am also working with my Korean partner on Fridays. I’m finally getting a handle on reading…understanding is another thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment